Paleo, no grains, no sugar, no nightshades, SCD compliant (well, mostly compliant - I usually note when something I post is not SCD-legal).
matt-the-gym-rat asked: Do you have a recipe for the herb cauliflower flatbread? It looks delicious!!
Thanks! I just posted the original recipe I was using (Grain Free Girl’s recipe) with my additions/changes/thoughts.
I was just asked for my cauliflower flatbread recipe, and basically I use Grain Free Girl’s wonderful recipe, with my own additions/changes.
This is what I changed:
- I steam the cauliflower pieces for around 20 minutes instead of using a microwave (because I don’t have a microwave).
- I only use 2 eggs instead of 3, but they’re jumbo size.
- I add a heaping cup of finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
- I use a TON of fresh, finely chopped rosemary - about a whole package worth that you would buy in the store, or maybe two. Just take out the really thick stems/branches - only use green needles.
- I also add at least a tablespoon of my special pepper blend.
- I usually add in sautéed mushrooms and onions because I have them sitting in the fridge (every week, I sauté a pound of fresh shiitake heads with about 3 onions in beef fat or whatever fat I have sitting around, and when they get nice and shrinky and browned, I deglaze the pan with some dry white wine or sake - I would use about half of the amount that this makes) - I use this stuff in EVERYTHING because it’s delicious and adds depth of flavor to dishes.
NOTE: it is very labor intensive (as Gluten Free Girl mentions) to squeeze all the water out of the cauliflower to make a flatbread. If you’ve got neither the time / patience / shoulder strength to do this (I have to mash it down, I pop right through cheesecloth - even doubled or tripled cheesecloth - when I try to wring it out that way - I press it through a fine strainer), you can just leave it kind of moist and make patties instead. When I do it this way, I bake them in a glass baking dish that is pre-heated in the oven, so that when stuff is put on the glass baking dish it sizzles. I brush on a little beef/pork/whatever fat I have and then put the patties on. Turning once in the oven before they’re done - maybe about 25 min total?
As you can see, I’m generally horrible at writing recipes, because most of the time, I wing it with what I have around.
Oh, BTW - if you don’t have a full head of cauliflower, you can use part broccoli - it works really well.
Do you guys have any additions/changes?